What you’ll need to prove
You must be able to prove one of the following:
- you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK
- you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply
- you are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving
You also need to prove you:
When you do not need to meet the income requirement
You may be able to settle in 5 years without meeting the minimum income requirement if either:
- you’re applying as a parent
- you get certain benefits, for example Disability Living Allowance or Carer’s Allowance
You need to show you and your family have enough money to adequately support and accommodate yourselves without relying on public funds. The caseworker considers your income and housing costs.
Check the guidance in appendix FM 1.7: financial requirement for more information.